Thursday, October 31, 2013

General Conference October 2013

So as general conference came around, I realized that if we were going to even have a prayer of listening to any of the messages, I was going to have to do some major prep in advance.

 Let me try to explain how excited I was to listen to general conference: For the last 5 months neither Kerry nor I have really been able to get much out of our church attendance because we have either been at home with the boys (before they started coming to church) or we have been going with them to their classes, then simply surviving sacrament meeting at the end, praying that nobody has a major meltdown.

 It's been getting a lot better, but we've just been on our own to keep our testimonies from withering.  So I looked forward to conference as a major opportunity to be spiritually fed.  Somewhere along the mental line I latched onto the fairly unrealistic idea that if I put enough effort into having activities for the kids, they would somehow morph into not 5 and 3 year olds and instead sit and listen quietly.  Yeah, not so much.

Sunday morning, when things were going much more smoothly (and occasionally quietly)

The good news is that after having my unrealistic expectations shattered on Saturday, we made a different game plan for Sunday that ended up working out pretty well for the kids and us.  And, miracle of miracles, there were even a few moments where kids sat and listened!




No comments:

Post a Comment